Third generation engineer Alex L has followed his passion for taking things apart and fixing them. Now with electricity generation firm E.ON he is building on his degree and work placement knowledge. Alex maintains machinery, supervises outside contractors and hopes to fulfil his ambition of becoming a chartered engineer. He also values an active social life and a good work/life balance.
More information about electrical engineers
Check out 2 videos about this career
Electrical engineers undertake research and design, direct construction and manage the operation and maintenance of electrical equipment, power stations, building control systems and other electrical products and systems.
Electrical engineers usually possess an accredited university degree or equivalent qualification. After qualifying, periods of appropriate training and experience are required before membership of a chartered engineering institution is attainable. Incorporated engineers possess an accredited university degree, BTEC/SQA award or an apprenticeship leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 4. All routes are followed by periods of appropriate training and relevant experience.
- Supervises, controls and monitors the operation of electrical generation, transmission and distribution systems
- Determines and specifies manufacturing methods of electrical systems
- Ensures that manufacture, operation and maintenance comply with design specifications and contractual arrangements
- Organises and establishes control systems to monitor the performance and safety of electrical assemblies and systems.
for this job
|Computer programming, etc||5,885|
|Head offices, etc||2,863|
|Architectural & related||2,362|
|Public admin. & defence||1,539|
|Legal & accounting||1,247|
Where to go nextE.ON UKSkills Council for the Energy and Utilities Sector
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- East Midlands
- Enterprise types