Andrew D left a career to become a self employed Potter. He says, "This is how I intend to make a living, it's not a very good living I must admit you'll never get rich from it. Unfortunately I'd got to a point in my career where things had started to click and made a bit of money and just worked out that I could stop and start doing something else instead".
More information about artists
Check out 13 videos about this career
Artists create artistic works using appropriate techniques, materials and media; design artwork and illustrations; and restore damaged pieces of art.
No specific academic qualifications are required although a variety of vocational qualifications, degrees and postgraduate courses are available. Entry can be based upon portfolio work.
- Conceives and develops ideas and ways of working for artistic composition
- Selects appropriate materials, medium and method
- Prepares sketches, scale drawings or colour schemes
- Builds up composition into finished work by carving, sculpting, etching, painting, engraving, drawing, etc.
- Approaches managers of galleries and exhibitions in order to get finished work displayed
- Uses artistic skills to restore damaged artworks
- Liaises with writers and publishers to produce book illustrations
- Markets and sells finished work directly to customers
- Produces works on commission basis for clients.
for this job
|Sport & recreation||5,765|
|Arts & entertainment||5,194|
|Services to buildings||2,796|
|Film & music||2,650|
|Other personal service||2,286|
|Head offices, etc||1,585|