Andrew S is a Health Visitor working in Wolverhampton. A 'jack the lad' at school, it was a suggestion from an ex-girlfriend's mum that lead him to nursing. He describes his route from nurse to health visitor and the satisfaction that he gets from helping families in the area in which he was brought up.
More information about health associate professionals n.e.c.
Check out 5 videos about this career
Job holders in this unit group carry out a variety of technical and complementary support functions not elsewhere classified in MINOR GROUP 321: Health Associate Professionals.
Entrants usually possess an accredited degree or postgraduate qualification. Training can take between two to five years depending upon the chosen method of study. Courses provide a mixture of theoretical study and practical experience. Membership of professional bodies may be mandatory in some areas.
- Prescribes diet therapy and gives advice to patients, health care professionals and the public on dietetic and nutritional matters for those with special dietary requirements or to prevent illness
- Diagnoses and treats disorders of vision and eye movements, monitors subsequent progress and recommends further optical, pharmacological or surgical treatment as required
- Manipulates and massages patient to discover the cause of pain, relieve discomfort, restore function and mobility and to correct irregularities in body structure
- Inserts needles under the skin, administers aromatic herbs and oils and massages body to relieve pain and restore health
- Advises and prescribes in areas of complementary and alternative medicine.
for this job
|Public admin. & defence||2,409|
|Services to buildings||662|
|Other personal service||410|
Where to go nextInformation and statistics about the health and social care sector.Wolverhampton City Primary Care TrustSector Skills Council for Health Professionals
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- West Midlands
- Focus On
- Enterprise types