Barrie P is a French Polisher. He says "mainly it's putting a nice shiney finish on a piece of timber and bringing the full glory of the timber out." He has had a colourful career and at 65 he still enjoys opening the workshop door in the morning,
More information about furniture makers and other craft woodworkers
Check out 6 videos about this career
Furniture makers and other craft woodworkers make, repair and restore wooden furniture, decorative objects and other crafted pieces of woodwork.
There are no formal entry requirements, although entrants typically possess a variety of academic and vocational qualifications. Training is provided off- and on-the-job. A number of NVQs/SVQs and other vocational qualifications covering various aspects of furniture production and wood machining are available at various levels. Apprenticeships in Cabinet Making are available in some areas.
- Examines drawings and specifications to determine job requirements and appropriate materials
- Selects, measures, cuts and shapes wood using saws, chisels, planes, powered hand tools and woodworking machines
- Assembles parts with crafted joints, nails, screws, dowels or adhesives and fits locks, catches, hinges, castors, drawers, shelves and other fittings
- Removes, replaces or repairs damaged parts of wooden furniture
- Measures floor area to be covered and lays wood blocks, parquet panels or hardwood strips
- Matches and marks out veneers ready for cutting and examines and repairs defects in veneer or plywood sheets.
for this job
|Food & beverage services||14,279|
Where to go nextAn overview of the creative and cultural industries sectorSector Skills Council for the Manufacture of Furniture and Furnishings
More information about artists
Check out 13 videos about this career
Artists create artistic works using appropriate techniques, materials and media; design artwork and illustrations; and restore damaged pieces of art.
No specific academic qualifications are required although a variety of vocational qualifications, degrees and postgraduate courses are available. Entry can be based upon portfolio work.
- Conceives and develops ideas and ways of working for artistic composition
- Selects appropriate materials, medium and method
- Prepares sketches, scale drawings or colour schemes
- Builds up composition into finished work by carving, sculpting, etching, painting, engraving, drawing, etc.
- Approaches managers of galleries and exhibitions in order to get finished work displayed
- Uses artistic skills to restore damaged artworks
- Liaises with writers and publishers to produce book illustrations
- Markets and sells finished work directly to customers
- Produces works on commission basis for clients.
for this job
|Sport & recreation||5,765|
|Arts & entertainment||5,194|
|Services to buildings||2,796|
|Film & music||2,650|
|Other personal service||2,286|
|Head offices, etc||1,585|