Carolyn Joiner is the Head's PA and School Secretary at Fairstead House School in Newmarket. She's been at the school since it started in 1980. At the time she was at home looking after her young children. The headteacher, who she used to work for at another school, contacted her and asked her if she was interested in a job. It turned out to be a good opportunity.
More information about school secretaries
Check out 1 video about this career
School secretaries provide administrative support in schools by keeping and maintaining school records and performing a range of routine clerical tasks within the school.
There are no minimum academic requirements, although entrants to professional secretarial courses typically require GCSEs/S grades. NVQs/SVQs in Administration are available at Levels 2, 3 and 4.
- Sorts, files and otherwise deals with incoming and outgoing correspondence
- Types directly or transcribes letters, reports and other documents, and prints or photocopies documents as required
- Maintains administrative records relating to pupils and staff, and generates statistical and other reports
- Handles enquiries from parents and arranges meetings with members of staff
- Undertakes reception duties for visitors, handles face-to-face and telephone enquiries and passes on messages
- Orders equipment and stationery
- Arranges payment of invoices, handles cash.
for this job
|Public admin. & defence||3,777|
|Head offices, etc||3,258|
|Food & beverage services||3,062|
|Legal & accounting||2,373|
Where to go nextFairstead House SchoolSector Skills Council for Learning ProfessionalsInformation and Statistics relating to Education
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- Personal influences
- Job location
- East of England
- Enterprise types