Chris H is a Teacher and Deputy Head of Fairstead House School, Newmarket. He was a scientist in cancer research, working with tissue samples, "I can remember getting a sample and it was a 23 year old male who had obviously died from this cancer and it was just something in that and I thought I want life around me. I want living around me." So he became a teacher instead.
More information about secondary education teaching professionals
Check out 6 videos about this career
Secondary (and middle school deemed secondary) education teaching professionals plan, organise and provide instruction in one or more subjects, including physical education and diversionary activities, within a prescribed curriculum in a secondary or secondary/ middle school.
Entry is with a first degree that provides QTS (qualified teacher status) or, in Scotland, TQ (teaching qualification); or other relevant degree followed by further postgraduate training (most commonly PGCE – Postgraduate Certificate in Secondary Education, or, in Scotland, PGDE – Professional Graduate Diploma in Education). Further and higher professional qualifications are required for some teaching posts.
- Prepares and delivers courses and lessons in accordance with curriculum requirements and teaches one or more subjects
- Prepares, assigns and corrects exercises and examinations to record and evaluate students’ progress
- Prepares students for external examinations and administers and invigilates these examinations
- Maintains records of students’ progress and development
- Supervises any practical work and maintains classroom discipline
- Undertakes pastoral duties
- Supervises teaching assistants and trainees
- Discusses progress with student, parents and/or other education professionals
- Assists with or plans and develops curriculum and rota of teaching duties.
for this job
|Public admin. & defence||10,313|
|Services to buildings||5,739|
|Food & beverage services||2,879|
|Other personal service||2,683|