Claire S is an Information Architect at the Department for Children, Schools and Families and also a volunteer Mentor for the Princes Trust in their XL club programme. She used to be a teacher. When she moved to a desk job she missed the day to day contact with young people. So she works as a mentor in a club for 14 to 16 year olds.
More information about iT business analysts, architects and systems designers
Check out 3 videos about this career
Workers in this unit group provide advice on the effective utilisation of IT and design IT systems in order to meet the business objectives or to enhance the business effectiveness of the organisation.
Entrants usually possess a degree or equivalent qualification, although entry with other academic qualifications and/or significant relevant experience is possible. There is a variety of relevant vocational, professional and postgraduate qualifications available.
- Liaises with internal/external clients in order to analyse business procedure, clarify clients’ requirements and to define the scope of existing software, hardware and network provision
- Undertakes feasibility studies for major IT developments incorporating costs and benefits, and presents proposals to clients
- Communicates the impact of emerging technologies to clients and advises upon the potential introduction of such technology
- Provides advice and assistance in the procurement, provision, delivery, installation, maintenance and use of IT systems and their environments
- Examines existing business models and flows of data and designs functional specifications and test plans for new systems in order to meet clients’ needs
- Researches, analyses, evaluates and monitors network infrastructure and performance
- Works closely with clients to implement new systems.
for this job
|Computer programming, etc||15,189|
|Head offices, etc||7,389|
|Architectural & related||6,096|
|Public admin. & defence||3,972|
|Legal & accounting||3,218|
Where to go nextThe Prince\'s TrustSector Skills Council for Care and Development ProfessionalsAn Overview of Information on the Voluntary Sector
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- Personal influences
- Job location
- South East England
- Enterprise types