Colette Lassalle works as a massage therapist in Bristol. She arrived in the UK at the age of 17 with just £10, worked in hotels then travelled around the world until her late twenties when she decided to return to higher education. She then entered teaching by default, and after finding this did not make her happy, she decided to follow her interest in massage.
More information about therapy professionals n.e.c.
Check out 3 videos about this career
Job holders in this unit group plan and apply physical and therapeutic treatments and activities to assist recovery from physical and mental illness and to minimise the effects of disabilities not elsewhere classified in MINOR GROUP 222: Therapy professionals.
Entrants usually possess an accredited degree or postgraduate qualification. Training can take between two to five years depending upon the chosen method of study. Courses provide a mixture of theoretical study and practical experience. Membership of professional bodies may be mandatory in some areas.
- Prescribes diet therapy and gives advice to patients, health care professionals and the public on dietetic and nutritional matters for those with special dietary requirements or to prevent illness amongst the general population
- Diagnoses and treats disorders of vision and eye movements, monitors subsequent progress and recommends further optical, pharmacological or surgical treatment as required
- Manipulates and massages patient to discover the cause of pain, relieve discomfort, restore function and mobility and to correct irregularities in body structure
- Adopts a holistic approach in assessing the overall health of the patient, and treats by inserting needles under the skin at particular locations according to the disorder being treated
- Administers aromatic herbs and oils and massage to relieve pain and restore health
- Assesses and provides treatment for people with mental disabilities, or those suffering with mental illness, stress, and emotional and relationship problems
- Diagnoses and treats behavioural problems in animals.
for this job
|Public admin. & defence||2,297|
|Services to buildings||747|