Colin B is the Operation Supervisor for London Borough of Lewisham Bereavement Services. He looks after the cemeteries. Tha means he has to help people when they are bereaved and he feels it is important to "leave a really good impression with that person that you've helped them kind of release a loved one in the best way you possibly can". When he started in the cemetery, he wanted to do physical work like gardening - but his mates told him he would be running the place one day.
More information about undertakers, mortuary and crematorium assistants
Check out 7 videos about this career
Undertakers, mortuary and crematorium assistants make funeral arrangements for clients, prepare the deceased for burial or cremation, and supervise and assist the proceedings of funerals.
There are no formal academic requirements although some employers require candidates to possess GCSEs/S grades. A full driving licence is often required. Training is provided on-the-job. Professional qualifications in funeral directing and embalming are available.
- Collects body of deceased and assists with the completion of necessary documents
- Interviews relative or representative of the deceased to discuss preparations for funeral
- Liaises with cemetery or crematorium authorities on behalf of client
- Washes and injects body with sterilising fluid to prevent deterioration prior to funeral, and applies cosmetics, wax and other materials to restore normal appearance
- Provides hearse and funeral cars and leads funeral procession
- Controls the operations of crematoriums and cemeteries and processes legal documentation.
for this job
|Services to buildings||485|
|Public admin. & defence||408|
|Sport & recreation||218|
Where to go nextInformation on employment within the public administration sectorLewisham County CouncilSector Skills Council for Government
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- East of England
- Enterprise types