Colin M works in maintenance at Lee Valley Athletics Centre. He's assembled a lot of skills and qualifications during his career, as a carpenter, engineer and Post Office engineer. He got his disciplined attitude, which has served him well, from his father and grandfather. "My grandfather always said was to do a job correctly 'cause you wouldn't have to go back and do it again."
More information about property, housing and estate managers
Check out 7 videos about this career
Job holders within this unit group manage shopping centres, residential areas and private estates, and arrange for the sale, purchase, rental and leasing of property on behalf of clients and employers.
There are no formal academic requirements, although entrants usually possess a BTEC/SQA award, a degree or equivalent qualification. Apprenticeships are available in some areas. Many employers expect the attainment of membership to a relevant professional body.
- Determines staffing, financial, material and other short- and long-term requirements
- Manages general upkeep, maintenance and security of the estate’s amenities
- Makes sure that the amenities meet health and safety standards and legal requirements
- Advises on energy efficiency
- Discusses client’s requirements and may advise client on the purchase of property and land for investment and other purposes
- Conducts or arranges for structural surveys of properties and undertakes any necessary valuations of property or agricultural land, and deals with grant and subsidy applications
- Negotiates land or property purchases and sales or leases and tenancy agreements and arranges legal formalities with solicitors, building societies and other parties
- Maintains or arranges for the maintenance of estate accounts and records and produces financial forecasts
- Acts as arbiter in disputes between landlord and tenant and ensures that both fulfil their legal obligations
- Examines and assesses housing applications, advises on rent levels, investigates complaints and liaises with tenants’ association and social workers to resolve any family problems.
for this job
|Food & beverage services||39,463|
|Services to buildings||7,957|
|Other personal service||7,583|
|Sport & recreation||6,662|
|Sale of motor vehicles||4,842|