Dan M is an apprentice at Auto Windscreens. He has just won the "Apprentice of the Year" award for the whole glass industry. He puts it down to the opportunities he has been given and the hard work everybody, especially his mentor, has put in.
More information about tyre, exhaust and windscreen fitters
Check out 3 videos about this career
Tyre, exhaust and windscreen fitters fit, repair and adjust tyres, exhausts and windscreens on cars, buses, motorcycles and other motor vehicles.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is typically provided on-the-job, or through training programmes within larger companies. NVQs/SVQs in Vehicle Maintenance (Service Replacement) are available at Levels 1 and 2.
- Carries out inspection and assesses the nature and extent of repair necessary
- Removes wheel, exhaust or windscreen using semi-automatic machinery or hand and power tools
- Separates tyre from wheel and fits replacement tyre using automatic machine or by using a wheel stand and hand tools
- Inflates tyre to correct pressure, refits wheel to axle and balances wheel using balancing machine
- Replaces faulty parts of exhaust and refits exhaust or windscreen to vehicle.
for this job
|Rubber & plastic||715|
|Motor vehicles, etc||382|
|Food & beverage services||338|
Where to go nextAuto WindscreensSector Skills Council for Science, Engineering and Manufacturing TechnologiesInformation and Statistics relating to Manufacturing
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Job location
- Yorkshire and the Humber
- Focus On
- Enterprise types