Darren studied performing arts and media at university. From there he worked as a runner in television before a stint working in the theatre. One of his career highlights has been to work on Most Haunted, which was at the time one his favourite programmes. He has had the opportunity to try different roles since joining the ITV team and loves the variety or opportunities in television production.
More information about arts officers, producers and directors
Check out 25 videos about this career
Arts officers, producers and directors assume creative, financial and organisational responsibilities in the production and direction of television and radio programmes, films, stage presentations, content for other media, and the promotion and exhibition of other creative activities.
Entry can be via academic qualifications, BTEC/SQA awards, diplomas or degrees in sector-relevant subjects. Apprenticeships are available at NVQ Levels 2 and 3 in some areas.
- Chooses writers, scripts, technical staff and performers, and assumes overall responsibility for completion of project on time and within budget
- Directs actors, designers, camera team, sound crew and other production and technical staff to achieve desired effects
- Breaks script into scenes and formulates a shooting schedule that will be most economical in terms of time, location and sets
- Prepares rehearsal and production schedule for main events, design of sets and costumes, technical rehearsals and dress rehearsals
- Ensures necessary equipment, props, performers and technical staff are on set when required
- Manages health and safety issues
- Selects, contracts, markets and arranges for the presentation and/or distribution of performance, visual and heritage arts.
for this job
|Sport & recreation||8,327|
|Arts & entertainment||7,502|
|Services to buildings||4,039|
|Film & music||3,828|
|Other personal service||3,303|
|Head offices, etc||2,289|
Where to go nextjobs at ITVcareers in animation
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- Yorkshire and the Humber
- Enterprise types