Davina McCall is a TV presenter. "Bizarrely, I never thought that TV presenting was a job when I was little." She had to try hard and not be put off by setbacks. She had 37 letters of rejection before she got an audition at MTV. "If you feel passionately about something, you'll work harder at it and you'll enjoy your life."
More information about actors, entertainers and presenters
Check out 18 videos about this career
Actors, entertainers and presenters sing, portray roles in dramatic productions, perform comedy routines, gymnastic feats and tricks of illusion, train animals to perform and perform with them, and introduce and present radio and television programmes.
Entry does not depend on academic qualifications although some drama schools require candidates to have GCSEs/S grades or A levels/H grades or a degree. Entry can be based upon an audition. Membership of the appropriate trade union is usually required. NVQs/SVQs in performing arts are available.
- Studies script, play or book and prepares and rehearses interpretation
- Assumes character created by a playwright or author and communicates this to an audience
- Performs singing, comedy, acrobatic, illusion and conjuring routines
- Trains animals to perform entertaining routines and may perform with them
- Introduces and presents radio and television programmes, reads news bulletins and makes announcements
- Conducts interviews and prepares reports for news broadcasts, current affairs programmes and documentaries
- Plays pre-recorded music at nightclubs, discotheques, and private functions.
for this job
|Sport & recreation||6,087|
|Arts & entertainment||5,484|
|Services to buildings||2,953|
|Film & music||2,798|
|Other personal service||2,414|
|Head offices, etc||1,673|