- Career Videos
- Focus On
Ed C - Project Manager
Loading the player ...
View the short version of this video
Age at filming: 19-25,
Employer's name: Lola Cars
Ed C is Project Manager at Lola Composites. "I'm half way to my dream job really". He was always passionate about automobile engineering. He chose a degree course in motor sport engineering and chose a placement that would give him good work experience (with Lola!)
More information about mechanical engineers
Check out 11 videos about this career
Average Weekly Hours
Top 10 Industries
For This Job
For This Job
|Computer programming, etc||12,526|
|Head offices, etc||6,094|
|Architectural & related||5,028|
|Public admin. & defence||3,276|
|Legal & accounting||2,654|
Mechanical engineers undertake research and design, direct the manufacture and manage the operation and maintenance of engines, machines, aircraft, vehicle and ships’ structures, building services and other mechanical items.
Mechanical engineers usually possess an accredited university degree. After qualifying, periods of appropriate training and experience are required before membership of a chartered engineering institution is attainable. Incorporated engineers possess an accredited university degree, BTEC/SQA award or an apprenticeship leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 4, followed by periods of training and relevant experience.
- Undertakes research and advises on energy use, materials handling, thermodynamic processes, fluid mechanics, vehicles and environmental controls
- Determines materials, equipment, piping, capacities, layout of plant or system and specification for manufacture
- Designs mechanical equipment, such as steam, internal combustion and other non-electrical motors for railway locomotives, road vehicles, aeroplanes and other machinery
- Ensures that equipment, operation and maintenance comply with design specifications and safety standards
- Organises and establishes control systems to monitor operational efficiency and performance of materials and systems.
Employment by Region
M 76% 24% F
M 76% 24% F
Where to go nextLola CarsSector Skills Council for Science, Engineering and Manufacturing TechnologiesInformation and statistics relating to the Automotive Industry
The tag map below allows you to explore some of the many stories here on icould.
View HTML tag cloud View Flash tag cloud
Ed C's tag map
- Job features
- Influences & Choices
- Job location
- East of England
- Age at filming
- Sector skills council
- Enterprise types