Graham M is a Ticket Examiner at Glasgow Central Station. It's always been important for Graham to provide for himself and his family, so he left school and went to work at a warehouse. 5 years later he was walking past an Army Career's Office and decided to give the armed forces a go thinking he would have a job for life "It didn't quite work out that way. My wife (and) my daughter come along and being the way I am... I felt the amount of time I had to spend away from them was horrendous, really."
More information about rail travel assistants
Check out 2 videos about this career
Rail travel assistants issue, collect and inspect travel tickets, provide information and assistance to railway passengers, operate train doors, and perform a variety of duties on station platforms in connection with the arrival and departure of trains and the movement of goods and passengers, and on trains to ensure the safety and comfort of passengers.
There are no formal academic entry requirements, although entrants are required to take a medical examination and have normal colour vision. Training is provided off- and on-the-job. NVQs/SVQs in Rail Transport (Passenger) are available at Level 2.
- Examines and collects tickets at the ticket barrier of a railway station
- Helps with passenger enquiries and makes announcements over a public address system at stations
- Loads and unloads mail, goods and luggage, operates lifts and hoists and drives small trucks
- Assists passengers with special needs to board and leave trains
- Attends to the safety, welfare and comfort of passengers on trains and manages train crew
- Checks control panel operation before start of journey, operates train door controls and signals to driver to start or stop train
- Inspects and issues tickets on trains, deals with passenger enquiries, and takes charge of goods being transported on train.
for this job
|Other personal service||6,132|
|Food & beverage services||1,678|
|Sport & recreation||1,481|
|Land transport, etc||685|
|Services to buildings||610|
Where to go nextScotRail
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- Turning point(s)
- First job influence
- Job location
- Enterprise types