Harry L is the Principal Manufacturing Engineer at Astrium Limited in Stevenage. He has had two main influences in his life - his father and a school teacher. He says, "I'm very proud career wise, to be working here at Astrium, to have done as well as I have and be in the position that I am. I haven't been to university, so I haven't gone through a degree route but I've got a very responsible position and I'm very proud of that".
More information about engineering technicians
Check out 13 videos about this career
Engineering technicians perform a variety of technical support functions to assist engineers with the design, development, operation, installation and maintenance of engineering systems and constructions.
Entrants to training usually posses GCSEs/S grades. Vocational training consists either of full-time study for a BTEC/SQA award followed by two years on-the-job training, or an apprenticeship leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3 or 4. An NVQ/SVQ in Aircraft Engineering Maintenance at Level 3 plus further professional qualifications are required to become a licensed aircraft engineer.
- Plans and prepares work and test schedules based on specifications and drawings
- Sets up equipment, undertakes tests, takes readings, performs calculations and records and interprets data
- Prepares estimates of materials, equipment and labour required for engineering projects
- Diagnoses and detects faults and implements procedures to maintain efficient operation of systems and equipment
- Inspects completed aircraft maintenance work to certify that it meets standards and the aircraft is ready for operation
- Visits and advises clients on the use and servicing of mechanical and chemical engineering products and services.
for this job
|Head offices, etc||6,532|
|Computer programming, etc||5,702|
|Architectural & related||5,642|
|Public admin. & defence||4,766|
|Legal & accounting||2,815|
Where to go nextEADS Astrium CareersThe Sector Skills Council for Science, Engineering and Manufacturing TechnologiesEngineeringUK
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- East of England
- Enterprise types