"Don't be afraid to not go along with everyone else." Helen didn't really enjoy school. Uninspired by her art foundation course, a one-day jewellery-making workshop encouraged Helen to seek out a jewellery apprenticeship.
More information about other skilled trades n.e.c.
Check out 9 videos about this career
Workers in this unit group engrave jewellery and stoneware, make artificial hairpieces, charge fireworks and munitions with explosive material, make lampshades, wickerwork, toys, dolls, models, candles, artificial flowers, other fancy goods, make patterns for moulds for metal castings, make and tune musical instruments, craft precious metals and stones, and perform other hand craft occupations not elsewhere classified in MINOR GROUP 544: Other Skilled Trades.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is typically via apprenticeship or through specialised courses. NVQs/SVQs are available in some areas.
- Uses hand or machine tools to engrave letters, patterns and other designs on jewellery and stoneware
- Constructs and covers wire frames for lampshades
- Makes wigs, beards and other artificial hairpieces from human hair or synthetic materials
- Interweaves canes of willow, withy, bamboo, rattan or similar material to make baskets and other pieces of wickerwork
- Charges fireworks, cartridges and other munitions with explosive material
- Makes childrens toys, dolls, models, candles, artificial flowers and other fancy goods
- Makes, maintains and adapts surgical and orthopaedic appliances
- Makes patterns for moulds, fits metal castings, pours plaster, fills plaster mould with resin and smoothes surface
- Makes musical instruments, makes and assembles parts for musical instruments, and tunes to improve pitch, tone and volume
- Makes and repairs jewellery and decorative precious metal ware, sets, cuts and polishes gemstones and makes master patterns for articles of jewellery.
for this job
|Food & beverage services||10,997|
Where to go nextThe Goldsmiths' CentreJustin Richardson (Jewellery)
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence