Helen W is the Assistant to the General Manager at John Lewis in Oxford Street. In five years time she sees herself on a beach with a cocktail, because she hopes to be on the six months paid leave John Lewis gives to people who have been employed there for twenty five years. "Although I've been in one place and worked for one organisation I've had a multitude of opportunities."
More information about managers and directors in retail and wholesale
Check out 6 videos about this career
Retail and wholesale managers and directors plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the operations of major retail and wholesale establishments in order to maximise business performance and meet financial goals.
Entry requirements vary from company to company. Entrants may possess GCSEs/S grades, A levels/H grades, GNVQs/GSVQs, a BTEC/SQA award, a degree or equivalent qualification. Entry is also possible through promotion after gaining sufficient experience. NVQs/SVQs in Retail Operations are available at Level 4.
- Appoints staff, assigns tasks and monitors and reviews staff performance
- Liaises with other staff to provide information about merchandise, special promotions etc. to customers
- Ensures that adequate reserves of merchandise are held and that stock keeping is carried out efficiently
- Ensures customer complaints and queries regarding sales and service are appropriately handled
- Oversees the maintenance of financial and other records and controls security arrangements for the premises
- Authorises payment for supplies received and decides on vending price, discount rates and credit terms
- Examines quality of merchandise and ensures that effective use is made of advertising and display facilities.
for this job
|Head offices, etc||16,532|
|Public admin. & defence||15,737|
|Computer programming, etc||13,613|
|Architectural & related||10,813|