Content Developer Holly C enjoys creating exhibitions at the cutting edge of science and technology. Realising during A levels and her degree course that communicating science suited her more than straight chemistry or maths, Holly went on to study for her masters. A work placement at The Science Museum fueled her ambition to work there long term. In striving to achieve this goal Holly learnt valuable career lessons.
More information about archivists and curators
Check out 8 videos about this career
Archivists and curators collect, appraise and preserve collections of recorded and other material of historical interest.
Entrants require a good first degree in order to gain entry to a relevant postgraduate course. Many postgraduate courses also require applicants to have gained relevant practical experience prior to entry. Training is typically received on-the-job. Professional qualifications leading to NVQs/SVQs in relevant areas at Levels 3, 4 and 5 are available.
- Examines, appraises and advises on the acquisition of exhibits, historic records, government papers and other material
- Classifies material and arranges for its safe keeping and preservation
- Maintains indexes, bibliographies and descriptive details of archive material and arranges for reproductions of items where necessary
- Examines objects to identify any damage and carries out necessary restoration whilst preserving original characteristics
- Makes sure that storage and display conditions protect objects from deterioration and damage
- Allows access to original material or material not on display for researchers
- Develops and promotes ideas for exhibitions and displays
- Negotiates loans of material for specialist displays
- Liaises with school and other groups or individuals, publicises exhibits and arranges special displays for general, specialised or educational interest
- Answers verbal or written enquiries and gives advice on exhibits or other material.
for this job
|Head offices, etc||1,543|
|Architectural & related||1,005|
|Public admin. & defence||845|
|Legal & accounting||816|