- Career Videos
- Focus On
Holly C - Content Developer
Would you rather watch the YouTube-hosted version?
Loading the player ...
View the short version of this video
Age at filming: 19-25,
Employer's name: The Science Museum
Content Developer Holly C enjoys creating exhibitions at the cutting edge of science and technology. Realising during A levels and her degree course that communicating science suited her more than straight chemistry or maths, Holly went on to study for her masters. A work placement at The Science Museum fueled her ambition to work there long term. In striving to achieve this goal Holly learnt valuable career lessons.
More information about archivists and curators
Check out 6 videos about this career
Average Weekly Hours
Top 10 Industries
For This Job
For This Job
|Head offices, etc||1,543|
|Architectural & related||1,005|
|Public admin. & defence||845|
|Legal & accounting||816|
Archivists and curators collect, appraise and preserve collections of recorded and other material of historical interest.
Entrants require a good first degree in order to gain entry to a relevant postgraduate course. Many postgraduate courses also require applicants to have gained relevant practical experience prior to entry. Training is typically received on-the-job. Professional qualifications leading to NVQs/SVQs in relevant areas at Levels 3, 4 and 5 are available.
- Examines, appraises and advises on the acquisition of exhibits, historic records, government papers and other material
- Classifies material and arranges for its safe keeping and preservation
- Maintains indexes, bibliographies and descriptive details of archive material and arranges for reproductions of items where necessary
- Examines objects to identify any damage and carries out necessary restoration whilst preserving original characteristics
- Makes sure that storage and display conditions protect objects from deterioration and damage
- Allows access to original material or material not on display for researchers
- Develops and promotes ideas for exhibitions and displays
- Negotiates loans of material for specialist displays
- Liaises with school and other groups or individuals, publicises exhibits and arranges special displays for general, specialised or educational interest
- Answers verbal or written enquiries and gives advice on exhibits or other material.
Employment by Region
M 56% 44% F
M 56% 44% F
Where to go nextThe Science MuseumSkills Council for the Creative and Cultural Sector
The tag map below allows you to explore some of the many stories here on icould.
View HTML tag cloud View Flash tag cloud
Holly C's tag map
- Curriculum Subject
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Life decisions
- Age at filming
- Sector skills council
- Enterprise types