Howard W is a Technology and Site Manager in a Johnson Matthey factory. Inspired by a teacher at school, he took up geology and material science up to PhD level. This got him a job with Johnson Matthey in decorative chemicals. "The products we're actually involved with making, are everyday items in many ways. A Wedgewood plate, for example. Wedgewood make the final plates, but they buy the decoration from a company like ourselves."
More information about production managers and directors in manufacturing
Check out 9 videos about this career
Production managers and directors in manufacturing plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the activities and resources necessary for production in manufacturing industries including the maintenance of engineering items, equipment and machinery.
There are no pre-set entry standards. Entry is possible with either a degree or equivalent qualification, and/or relevant experience. On-the-job training is provided and professional qualifications are available, as are S/NVQs in Management at levels 3 to 5.
- Liaises with other managers to plan overall production activity and daily manufacturing activity, sets quality standards and estimates timescales and costs
- Manages production to ensure that orders are completed to an agreed date and conform to customer and other requirements
- Monitors production and production costs and undertakes or arranges for the preparation of reports and records
- Oversees supervision of the production line and its staff, ensures targets are met.
for this job
|Head offices, etc||13,296|
|Public admin. & defence||12,656|
|Computer programming, etc||10,948|
|Architectural & related||8,696|
Where to go nextUseful information about the manufacturing sectorSector Skills Council for Science, Engineering and Manufacturing Technologies
More information about chemical scientists
Check out 6 videos about this career
Chemical scientists analyse and research physical aspects of chemical structure and change within substances and develop chemical techniques used in the manufacture or modification of natural substances and processed products.
Entrants usually possess a degree. Entry may also be possible with an appropriate BTEC/SQA award, an Advanced GNVQ/GSVQ Level III, or other academic qualifications. Further specialist training is provided on the job. Some employers may expect entrants to gain professional qualifications.
- Develops experimental procedures, instruments and recording and testing systems
- Conducts experiments to identify chemical composition, energy and chemical changes in natural substances and processed materials
- Analyses results and experimental data
- Tests techniques and processes for reliability under a variety of conditions
- Develops procedures for quality control of manufactured products.
for this job
|Computer programming, etc||4,310|
|Head offices, etc||2,097|
|Architectural & related||1,730|
|Public admin. & defence||1,127|
|Legal & accounting||913|