As Manager of a cluster of David Lloyd leisure centres, Ian G is proud that his work helps change peoples' lives. Healthy sibling competition encouraged him to complete A levels and a degree, and with the services of a recruitment agency he successfully identified the right work environment. Ian now makes the most of his spare time, his disposable income and his interest in sport, by indulging his passion for flying.
More information about leisure and sports managers
Check out 11 videos about this career
Leisure and sports managers organise, direct and co-ordinate the activities and resources required for the provision of sporting, artistic, theatrical and other recreational and amenity services.
Both graduate and non-graduate entry is possible. Off- and on-the-job training is provided. NVQs/SVQs in relevant areas are available at Levels 3 and 4. Professional qualifications may also be required for some posts.
- Organises timetable of activities/schedule of programmes
- Ensures that facilities are kept clean and in good condition and that appropriate health and safety requirements are adhered to
- Keeps abreast of new trends and developments in recreational activities and arranges exhibitions, theatrical productions, concerts, demonstrations etc.
- Advises on the facilities available and promotes publicity in relation to shows, games, races, new theme parks, etc.
- Determines financial, staffing, material and other short- and long-term needs
- Recruits, supervises and trains staff
- Ensures custody of all cash receipts and organises regular stock checks.
for this job
|Food & beverage services||13,823|
|Services to buildings||2,787|
|Other personal service||2,656|
|Sport & recreation||2,333|
|Sale of motor vehicles||1,696|
Where to go nextAn overview of information about the health and fitness industrySector Skills Council for Sports and Recreation
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- Personal influences
- Job location
- South East England
- Enterprise types