- Career Videos
- Focus On
Ian S - Graphic Designer
Would you rather watch the YouTube-hosted version?
Loading the player ...
View the short version of this video
Age at filming: 36-45,
Employer's name: Self-employed
Ian S says "I'm a graphic designer primarily, but I do art." He says "I'd designed hundreds of flyers, hundreds of record sleeves and was firmly established as a music industry designer." He decided to close his studio and work on his own again - but focussing on art as well as design.
More information about graphic designers
Check out 4 videos about this career
Average Weekly Hours
Top 10 Industries
For This Job
For This Job
|Sport & recreation||10,589|
|Arts & entertainment||9,540|
|Services to buildings||5,136|
|Film & music||4,868|
|Other personal service||4,200|
|Head offices, etc||2,911|
Graphic designers use illustrative, sound, visual and multimedia techniques to convey a message for information, entertainment, advertising, promotion or publicity purposes, and create special visual effects and animations for computer games, film, interactive and other media.
Entrants have usually completed a foundation course, a BTEC/SQA award, a degree and/or postgraduate qualification. NVQs/SVQs in Design (in various disciplines) are available at Levels 2 and 3. Portfolio work is also important for entry.
- Liaises with client to clarify aims of project brief, discusses media, software and technology to be used, establishes timetable for project and defines budgetary constraints
- Undertakes research into project, considers previous related projects and compares costs of using different processes
- Prepares sketches, scale drawings, models, colour schemes and other mock-ups to show clients and discusses any required alterations
- Prepares specification and instructions for realisation of the project
- Liaises with other parts of the production team to ensure graphic design fits with other elements, processes and timescales
- Produces or oversees creation of the final product.
Employment by Region
M 57% 43% F
M 57% 43% F
Where to go nextSwiftySector Skills Council for the Creative and Cultural IndustriesInformation and Statistics relating to the Creative Industries
The tag map below allows you to explore some of the many stories here on icould.
View HTML tag cloud View Flash tag cloud
Ian S's tag map
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- Influences & Choices
- Life decisions
- Job location
- Age at filming
- Sector skills council
- Enterprise types