Ian became disillusioned with an early ambition to be a doctor and found, "when I was doing my A levels, I still had no idea, really, what I was going to do." Ian did not wish to incur the cost of university and left school after sixth from. He is currently working to gain accountancy qualifications.
More information about business and financial project management professionals
Check out 17 videos about this career
Job holders in this unit group manage and oversee major projects across all sectors of modern industry, commerce and the public sector, in areas such as e-commerce, business analysis, finance, product development, marketing, human resources.
Entry may be via a degree or postgraduate qualification in project management or a subject relevant to the particular sector or via significant relevant work experience in that sector.
- Finds out what the client or company wants to achieve
- Agrees timescales, costs and resources needed
- Draws up a detailed plan for how to achieve each stage of the project
- Selects and leads a project team
- Negotiates with contractors and suppliers for materials and services
- Ensures that each stage of the project is progressing on time, on budget and to the right quality standards
- Reports regularly on progress to the client or to senior managers.
for this job
|Head offices, etc||30,410|
|Architectural & related||19,815|
|Public admin. & defence||16,651|
|Legal & accounting||16,089|
Where to go nextInformation and statistics for the health and social care sector. Cambridge University Hospitals Financial Services Skills Council
More information about finance officers
Check out 10 videos about this career
Finance officers oversee book-keeping, general accounting and other financial and related clerical functions mainly within local government and a variety of public sector organisations.
Entrants will normally possess GCSEs/S grades (including maths), a finance-related qualification at an appropriate level and have relevant work experience.
- Oversees the recording and checking of daily financial transactions, the preparation of provisional balances and reconciliation of accounts
- Prepares or arranges the preparation of financial reports for managers
- Plans work schedules and assigns tasks to financial clerks
- Coordinates the activities and resources of finance departments.
for this job
|Public admin. & defence||5,704|
|Head offices, etc||1,888|