James B is a Bridge Engineer for Halcrow. When he was young he lived near the Brunel's Clifton ridge and his first job was the second Severn Bridge. He says "Bridges are the icing of engineering" and "it's something that clearly helps a community, you know, people want a bridge, generally". He likes to travel with his work.
More information about building and civil engineering technicians
Check out 6 videos about this career
Building and civil engineering technicians perform a variety of technical support functions to assist civil and building engineers.
Entrants usually possess a relevant BTEC/SQA award or an Advanced GNVQ/GSVQ Level III. The status of engineering technician is obtained after a period of further training at work and upon gaining the membership of a professional engineering institution.
- Sets up apparatus and equipment and undertakes field and laboratory tests of soil and work materials
- Performs calculations and collects, records and interprets data
- Sets out construction site, supervises excavations and marks out position of building work to be undertaken
- Inspects construction materials and supervises work of contractors to ensure compliance with specifications and arranges remedial work as necessary.
for this job
|Head offices, etc||1,326|
|Computer programming, etc||1,158|
|Architectural & related||1,146|
|Public admin. & defence||968|
|Legal & accounting||572|
Where to go nextEngineeringUKHalcrowSector Skills Council for Building Services Engineering
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- Personal influences
- Job location
- East of England
- Enterprise types