James D has had backing from The Prince's Trust to set up a community project in North Staffordshire called Youth Regeneration Initiative. It's for young people, aged 16 to 25, who are at risk of addiction, crime and mental distress. He's an expert on this because he's a recovering addict himself, both alcohol and drugs.
More information about youth and community workers
Check out 21 videos about this career
Youth and community workers provide support to individuals or groups of individuals through a range of activities or services that aim to encourage participation in social and community life and promote personal and social development.
There are no formal academic entry requirements though a minimum age for appointment between 18 and 21 normally applies. Most qualified youth workers possess an accredited diploma in higher education or postgraduate diploma in youth and community work. A majority of qualifying courses are for people aged over 21 years of age. Background checks including a CRB check are likely to be required.
- Organises social, recreational and educational activities in local community and youth groups
- Undertakes the day-to-day running of community centres and supervises the activities of part-time and voluntary workers
- Liaises and supports voluntary workers running groups in village halls, churches, mosques and other places of worship
- Advises individuals with particular needs or problems through informal discussion, individual counselling or formal group discussion
- Helps set up credit unions, encourages parents to establish playgroups, works with other groups to find solutions to shared concerns or problems.
for this job
|Public admin. & defence||3,609|
|Services to buildings||991|
|Other personal service||615|
Where to go nextThe Prince\'s TrustSector Skills Council for Care and Development ProfessionalsAn Overview of Information on the Voluntary Sector
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Personal influences
- Job location
- West Midlands
- Enterprise types