James S is a Production Manager in a herb growing company."I do a lot of product tasting. Tasting of new varieties. Tasting of new sources of raw materials... I was so sort of passionate about plants and the scientific side behind plants as well that I thought that was far more my sort of idea of a wonderful job".
More information about
Check out 4 videos about this career
DescriptionHorticultural trades workers intensively cultivate vegetables, plants, fruit, shrubs, trees and flowers in greenhouses, market gardens, nurseries and orchards.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements. NVQs/SVQs in Horticulture are available at Levels 1, 2 and 3. Professional qualifications from the Royal Horticultural Society are also available.
- Prepares soil in field, bed or pot by hand or machine;
- Mixes soil, composts, fertilisers and/or organic matter and spreads fertiliser and manure;
- Sows seeds and bulbs and transplants seedlings;
- Propagates plants by taking cuttings and by grafting and budding, applies weed-killer, fungicide and insecticide to control pests and diseases;
- Prunes and thins trees and shrubs;
- Supports trees by staking and wiring.
for this job
|Food & beverage services||342|
|Rental & leasing||316|
|Architectural & related||238|