John S is an employment advisor for BIT Pathways, a mental health charity in Birmingham. His first career was as a butcher, starting when he was thirteen, delivering orders. But by the time he was forty he had both legs amputated so he had to find a new career.
More information about careers advisers and vocational guidance specialists
Check out 4 videos about this career
Job holders in this unit group give advice on careers or occupations, training courses and related matters, direct school leavers and other job seekers into employment and assess their progress.
Entrants often possess a degree, an approved diploma or equivalent qualification. Professional training towards the Qualification in Careers Guidance consists of a one-year full-time course followed by a one-year probationary period of on-the-job training. NVQs/SVQs in Advice and Guidance at Levels 3 and 4 are available. Those working with young people or vulnerable adults will require CRB clearance.
- Uses an interview, questionnaire and/or psychological or other test to determine the aptitude, preferences and temperament of the client
- Advises on appropriate courses of study or avenues into employment
- Visits educational and other establishments to give talks and distribute information regarding careers
- Liaises with employers to determine employment opportunities and advises schools, colleges or individuals accordingly
- Organises careers forums and exhibitions and establishes and maintains contact with local employers, colleges and training providers
- Monitors progress and welfare of young people in employment and advises them on any difficulties.
for this job
|Public admin. & defence||2,564|
|Head offices, etc||1,924|
|Services to buildings||1,196|
Where to go nextDisability AllianceSector Skills Council for Care and Development ProfessionalsBackground Information on Disability in the UK
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- West Midlands
- Enterprise types