Johnny is joint owner of Sejour hair salon. He worked his way up, starting as an apprentice and learning all aspects of the business. He found the training tough, often feeling he wasn't good enough. "But, you know, the door has to open again tomorrow and you have to get up and you have to do it again".
More information about hairdressing and beauty salon managers and proprietors
Check out 4 videos about this career
Job holders in this unit group plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the activities and resources of hairdressing salons, beauty treatment and similar establishments.
No formal qualifications are required for entry although entrants usually possess a BTEC/SQA award, an NVQ/SVQ in Hairdressing at Level 3, an apprenticeship and/or relevant experience.
- Determines staffing, financial, material and other short- and long-term needs
- Controls the allocation, training and remuneration of staff
- Provides clients with information and advice on styles and treatments, and resolves any complaints or problems
- Ensures clients’ records are maintained
- Undertakes and/or directs hair treatments and/or beauty therapy
- Checks and maintains any equipment, and ensures that all safety requirements are met
- Demonstrates, advises on and sells hair and/or beauty products
- Ensures financial accounts for the business are maintained.
for this job
|Food & beverage services||5,987|
|Services to buildings||1,207|
|Other personal service||1,150|
|Sport & recreation||1,011|
|Sale of motor vehicles||735|