Lee H is a Graphic Designer at Northend Creative Print Solutions. He says "When I left university I applied for about 80 jobs. I got ten letters back, 70 no replies and I got about four or five interviews and I got a job... I'm happy doing what I'm doing. It's always what I've wanted".
More information about graphic designers
Check out 5 videos about this career
Graphic designers use illustrative, sound, visual and multimedia techniques to convey a message for information, entertainment, advertising, promotion or publicity purposes, and create special visual effects and animations for computer games, film, interactive and other media.
Entrants have usually completed a foundation course, a BTEC/SQA award, a degree and/or postgraduate qualification. NVQs/SVQs in Design (in various disciplines) are available at Levels 2 and 3. Portfolio work is also important for entry.
- Liaises with client to clarify aims of project brief, discusses media, software and technology to be used, establishes timetable for project and defines budgetary constraints
- Undertakes research into project, considers previous related projects and compares costs of using different processes
- Prepares sketches, scale drawings, models, colour schemes and other mock-ups to show clients and discusses any required alterations
- Prepares specification and instructions for realisation of the project
- Liaises with other parts of the production team to ensure graphic design fits with other elements, processes and timescales
- Produces or oversees creation of the final product.
for this job
|Sport & recreation||10,589|
|Arts & entertainment||9,540|
|Services to buildings||5,136|
|Film & music||4,868|
|Other personal service||4,200|
|Head offices, etc||2,911|