Louise S is a Deputy Department Manager in the TV and audio department at John Lewis in Oxford Street. She was doing a boring job in a clothing factory in Scotland when she was nineteen. So she packed up and went down to London with a friend and got a job in a hotel. She's stayed in London and carved out a retail career.
More information about
Check out 6 videos about this career
DescriptionRetail and wholesale managers and directors plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the operations of major retail and wholesale establishments in order to maximise business performance and meet financial goals.
QualificationsEntry requirements vary from company to company. Entrants may possess GCSEs/S grades, A levels/H grades, GNVQs/GSVQs, a BTEC/SQA award, a degree or equivalent qualification. Entry is also possible through promotion after gaining sufficient experience. NVQs/SVQs in Retail Operations are available at Level 4.
- Appoints staff, assigns tasks and monitors and reviews staff performance;
- Liaises with other staff to provide information about merchandise, special promotions etc. to customers;
- Ensures that adequate reserves of merchandise are held and that stock keeping is carried out efficiently;
- Ensures customer complaints and queries regarding sales and service are appropriately handled;
- Oversees the maintenance of financial and other records and controls security arrangements for the premises;
- Authorises payment for supplies received and decides on vending price, discount rates and credit terms;
- Examines quality of merchandise and ensures that effective use is made of advertising and display facilities.
for this job
|Sale of motor vehicles||20225|
|Food & beverage services||14574|
|Head offices, etc||10031|
|Rental & leasing||3810|
|Sport & recreation||2437|