Matthew C is at college doing a diploma in public services. He's also a Young Ambassador for The Prince's Trust. He was bullied at school and tried to commit suicide three times. Now he helps other people who have been in a similar situation to him. He hopes to join the Royal Navy when he's finished his course.
More information about youth and community workers
Check out 21 videos about this career
Youth and community workers provide support to individuals or groups of individuals through a range of activities or services that aim to encourage participation in social and community life and promote personal and social development.
There are no formal academic entry requirements though a minimum age for appointment between 18 and 21 normally applies. Most qualified youth workers possess an accredited diploma in higher education or postgraduate diploma in youth and community work. A majority of qualifying courses are for people aged over 21 years of age. Background checks including a CRB check are likely to be required.
- Organises social, recreational and educational activities in local community and youth groups
- Undertakes the day-to-day running of community centres and supervises the activities of part-time and voluntary workers
- Liaises and supports voluntary workers running groups in village halls, churches, mosques and other places of worship
- Advises individuals with particular needs or problems through informal discussion, individual counselling or formal group discussion
- Helps set up credit unions, encourages parents to establish playgroups, works with other groups to find solutions to shared concerns or problems.
for this job
|Public admin. & defence||3,609|
|Services to buildings||991|
|Other personal service||615|
Where to go nextThe Prince\'s TrustSector Skills Council for Care and Development ProfessionalsAn Overview of Information on the Voluntary Sector
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Turning point(s)
- Personal influences
- Job location
- West Midlands
- Enterprise types