Mike's first career was in the catering industry and he worked on board a cruise liner after leaving catering college. Highlights included looking after members of the Royal Family. He then went to work as a lecturer before joining the library service where he can incorporate his love of cookery with his love of books. "My job is my hobby is my job". He is now past retirement age but hopes to stay on "until the last day".
More information about librarians
Check out 3 videos about this career
Librarians appraise, obtain, index, collate and make available library acquisitions and organise and control other library services.
Entry will normally require an accredited degree or postgraduate qualification. Most postgraduate courses require applicants to have had prior relevant work experience. Professional qualifications and NVQs/SVQs in Information and Library Service are available at Levels 2, 3 and 4.
- Selects and arranges for the acquisition of books, periodicals, audio-visual and other material
- Collects, classifies and catalogues information, books and other material
- Prepares and circulates abstracts, bibliographies, book lists, etc.
- Identifies the information needs of clients, seeks out and evaluates information sources
- Establishes information storage systems to deal with queries and to maintain up to date records
- Manages library borrowing and inter-library loan facilities
- Promotes library services through displays and talks provides learning and cultural experiences through events such as author talks, reading groups, formal and informal teaching.
for this job
|Head offices, etc||3,756|
|Architectural & related||2,447|
|Public admin. & defence||2,057|
|Legal & accounting||1,987|
Where to go nextInformation on employment within the public administration sectorNorth Lincolnshire CouncilSkills Partnership for Local Government
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Job location
- Yorkshire and the Humber
- Enterprise types