Nathan Bachelor is a Cabinet Maker and Team Leader at NEJ Stephenson. He was offered an apprenticeship when he did work experience there. He has now made furniture for Buckingham Palace. Today as team leader he is learning how to share work out among a team and take responsibility for others. Dyslexic - he made good use of his making skills.
More information about furniture makers and other craft woodworkers
Check out 6 videos about this career
Furniture makers and other craft woodworkers make, repair and restore wooden furniture, decorative objects and other crafted pieces of woodwork.
There are no formal entry requirements, although entrants typically possess a variety of academic and vocational qualifications. Training is provided off- and on-the-job. A number of NVQs/SVQs and other vocational qualifications covering various aspects of furniture production and wood machining are available at various levels. Apprenticeships in Cabinet Making are available in some areas.
- Examines drawings and specifications to determine job requirements and appropriate materials
- Selects, measures, cuts and shapes wood using saws, chisels, planes, powered hand tools and woodworking machines
- Assembles parts with crafted joints, nails, screws, dowels or adhesives and fits locks, catches, hinges, castors, drawers, shelves and other fittings
- Removes, replaces or repairs damaged parts of wooden furniture
- Measures floor area to be covered and lays wood blocks, parquet panels or hardwood strips
- Matches and marks out veneers ready for cutting and examines and repairs defects in veneer or plywood sheets.
for this job
|Food & beverage services||14,279|
Where to go nextAn overview of the creative and cultural industries sectorNEJ StevensonSector Skills Council for the Manufacture of Furniture and Furnishings
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- West Midlands
- Focus On
- Enterprise types