Nick D is a Printer at Northend Creative Print Solutions in Sheffield. He always wanted to be a printer. His brother and his father were in the trade. His brother knew someone who worked at Northend and said it was a good company to work for, so Nick applied for work experience there and then applied for a job.
More information about printers
Check out 3 videos about this career
Printers set up and operate various small offset printing presses and digital printing processes.
There are no formal academic requirements although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades. Training is typically received on-the-job. National Traineeships and apprenticeships in Machine Printing are available at NVQ/SVQ Levels 2 and 3.
- Positions form or plate on machine, checks alignments and sets press
- Mixes and loads inks and solvents, loads paper and regulates during print run
- Prints and examines proof copies and adjusts press as necessary
- Starts or directs start of printing run and monitors machine to ensure that printing proceeds smoothly
- Pours colour into machine or directly on to screen and positions screen over item
- Operates squeegee by hand or machine to press colour through screen
- Dips wooden pattern block into colour tray and lays different colours on top of, and adjacent to, others to form the required pattern
- Produces, transfers and outputs digital print images
- Maintains, adjusts, repairs and cleans machine
- Keeps production records.
for this job
|Food & beverage services||10,712|
Where to go nextNorthend Creative Print SolutionsSector Skills Council for Printing ProfessionalsInformation and Statistics relating to the Creative Industries
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- Yorkshire and the Humber
- Enterprise types