Pauline M is a Security Officer in the Scottish Parliament. "I don't have an average day, every day is different - we're first point of contact for people coming in." Pauline started following her passion as a riding instructor but low pay made her re-assess her life.
More information about security guards and related occupations
Check out 2 videos about this career
Workers in this unit group protect merchandise, individuals, hotels, offices, factories, public grounds and private estates from injury, theft or damage, and investigate fraud and crime on a non-statutory basis.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. For some vacancies a current and clean driving licence is required and entrants may have to pass a medical examination. Training is typically provided on-the-job. NVQs/SVQs covering various aspects of security guarding are available at Level 2.
- Investigates crimes, trading practices and the private affairs of individuals
- Walks or rides near person requiring protection, watches for suspicious occurrences and defends guarded person from attack
- Monitors and patrols hotels, factories, offices and other premises, forests, parks, and public or private estates to prevent theft and unauthorised entry
- Checks persons and vehicles entering and leaving premises, establishes their credentials and arranges for escorts for visitors
- Receives duty sheet, time-clock and keys for premises to be visited, checks locks, doors, windows, etc. and reports any suspicious circumstances to security headquarters
- Calls in civil police and gives evidence in court where necessary.
for this job
|Food & beverage services||45,301|
|Services to buildings||13,785|
Where to go nextAn overview of information for the public administration sectorThe Scottish ParliamentSector Skills Council for Government
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Personal influences
- Job location
- Enterprise types