- Career Videos
- Focus On
Peter S - Retail Buyer
Would you rather watch the YouTube-hosted version?
Loading the player ...
View the short version of this video
Age at filming: 46-55,
Employer's name: Gibsons Food
Peter S is a Buyer at Gibsons Foods. He found his career by trial and error. After graduating he tried accountancy and sales but they didn't suit him. He tried being a buyer and enjoyed it. He changed employers a few times to move to better jobs.
More information about buyers and procurement officers
Check out 10 videos about this career
Average Weekly Hours
Top 10 Industries
For This Job
For This Job
|Public admin. & defence||5,095|
|Head offices, etc||3,821|
|Services to buildings||2,376|
Buyers and procurement officers organise and undertake the buying of raw materials, equipment and merchandise from manufacturers, importers, wholesalers and other sources for wholesale distribution, resale or for own internal use.
There are no formal academic requirements although some employers expect A levels/H grades, BTEC/SQA awards or degrees. Employers may ask for specific experience for a particular role. Professional qualifications and NVQs/SVQs in Procurement at Levels 2, 3 and 4 are available.
- Attends trade fairs, shows and demonstrations to research new product lines and suppliers, checks catalogues
- Keeps up with market trends and chooses products/services
- Assesses budgetary limitations and customer requirements and decides on quantity, type, range and quality of goods or services to be bought
- Assesses bids from suppliers, finds suppliers and negotiates prices
- Helps negotiate contract with supplier and specifies details of goods or services required
- Looks at ways to improve supply networks, presents new ideas to senior management team
- Ensures that delivered items comply with order, monitors quality of incoming goods and returns unsatisfactory or faulty items, monitors performance and makes sure targets are met
- Supervises clerical, administrative and warehouse distribution staff, deals with recruitment and training
- Works closely with merchandisers who allocate stock and develop sales forecasts
- Maintains records and prepares reports as necessary.
Employment by Region
M 53% 47% F
M 53% 47% F
Where to go nextSector information for food and drink manufacturing and processingSector Skills Council for Food and Drink Manufacturing
The tag map below allows you to explore some of the many stories here on icould.
View HTML tag cloud View Flash tag cloud
Peter S's tag map
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- Influences & Choices
- Life decisions
- North West England
- Age at filming
- Sector skills council
- Enterprise types