- Career Videos
- Focus On
Prudence B - Deputy Store Manager
Would you rather watch the YouTube-hosted version?
Loading the player ...
View the short version of this video
Age at filming: 19-25,
Employer's name: Arcadia Group
Prudence Davis is the Deputy Manager of a Wallis store. She wasn't very happy with her GCSE results, but she was loving her Saturday job in Wallis, so she decided to apply for management training within the company. So instead of studying English at university she's now helping to manage a one of Wallis's top stores.
More information about managers and directors in retail and wholesale
Check out 6 videos about this career
Average Weekly Hours
Top 10 Industries
For This Job
For This Job
|Head offices, etc||16,532|
|Public admin. & defence||15,737|
|Computer programming, etc||13,613|
|Architectural & related||10,813|
Retail and wholesale managers and directors plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the operations of major retail and wholesale establishments in order to maximise business performance and meet financial goals.
Entry requirements vary from company to company. Entrants may possess GCSEs/S grades, A levels/H grades, GNVQs/GSVQs, a BTEC/SQA award, a degree or equivalent qualification. Entry is also possible through promotion after gaining sufficient experience. NVQs/SVQs in Retail Operations are available at Level 4.
- Appoints staff, assigns tasks and monitors and reviews staff performance
- Liaises with other staff to provide information about merchandise, special promotions etc. to customers
- Ensures that adequate reserves of merchandise are held and that stock keeping is carried out efficiently
- Ensures customer complaints and queries regarding sales and service are appropriately handled
- Oversees the maintenance of financial and other records and controls security arrangements for the premises
- Authorises payment for supplies received and decides on vending price, discount rates and credit terms
- Examines quality of merchandise and ensures that effective use is made of advertising and display facilities.
Employment by Region
M 68% 32% F
M 68% 32% F
Where to go nextArcadia GroupSector Skills Council for RetailInformation and Statistics relating to Retail
The tag map below allows you to explore some of the many stories here on icould.
View HTML tag cloud View Flash tag cloud
Prudence B's tag map
- Curriculum Subject
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Age at filming
- Sector skills council
- Enterprise types