Stephen P is the Managing Director of NVT Group. He started running his own business in 1988 when the company he was with went into liquidation. He strongly believes in advancement through work-based training and self-study. "There's no degree qualification that leads you to become a managing director as such."
More information about financial managers and directors
Check out 7 videos about this career
Financial managers and directors plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate financial information and advise on company financial policy.
There are no pre-set entry standards, although entry is most common with a relevant degree or equivalent qualification. Professional qualifications are available and are required for certain posts.
- Participates in the formulation of strategic and long-term business plans, assesses the implications for the organisation financial mechanisms and oversees their implementation
- Plans external and internal audit programmes, arranges for the collection and analysis of accounting, budgetary and related information, and manages the company’s financial systems
- Determines staffing levels appropriate for accounting activities
- Assesses and advises on factors affecting business performance.
for this job
|Head offices, etc||11,944|
|Public admin. & defence||11,370|
|Computer programming, etc||9,835|
|Architectural & related||7,812|
Where to go nextSector information for IT and TelecomsSector Skills Council for IT Professionals
More information about information technology and telecommunications directors
Check out 5 videos about this career
Job holders in this unit group plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the work and resources necessary to provide and operate information technology and telecommunications services within an organisation.
There are no pre-set entry requirements although candidates usually possess a degree or equivalent qualification together with substantial, relevant work experience. A variety of professional and postgraduate qualifications is available.
- Develops in consultation with other senior management the IT/telecommunications strategy of the organisation
- Directs the implementation within the organisation of IT/telecommunications strategy, infrastructure, procurement, procedures and standards
- Develops the periodic business plan and operational budget for IT/telecommunications to deliver agreed service levels
- Considers the required IT/telecommunications staffing levels, oversees recruitment and appointment of staff and directs training policy
- Prioritises and schedules major IT/telecommunications projects
- Ensures that new technologies are researched and evaluated in the light of the organisation’s broad requirements.
for this job
|Head offices, etc||2,811|
|Public admin. & defence||2,676|
|Computer programming, etc||2,315|
|Architectural & related||1,839|