- Career Videos
- Focus On
Theresa B - Consultant Psychotherapist
Would you rather watch the YouTube-hosted version?
Loading the player ...
View the short version of this video
Age at filming: 46-55,
Employer's name: Wolverhampton City Primary Care Trust
Psychotherapist Theresa B came from a medical family but was unsure if that was the right direction for her to follow. After giving up her university degree Theresa undertook work experience in a psychiatric unit, where a chance encounter with a suicidal patient provoked an interest in psychiatry that would shape the rest of her career.
More information about therapy professionals n.e.c.
Check out 3 videos about this career
Average Weekly Hours
Top 10 Industries
For This Job
For This Job
|Public admin. & defence||2,297|
|Services to buildings||747|
Job holders in this unit group plan and apply physical and therapeutic treatments and activities to assist recovery from physical and mental illness and to minimise the effects of disabilities not elsewhere classified in MINOR GROUP 222: Therapy professionals.
Entrants usually possess an accredited degree or postgraduate qualification. Training can take between two to five years depending upon the chosen method of study. Courses provide a mixture of theoretical study and practical experience. Membership of professional bodies may be mandatory in some areas.
- Prescribes diet therapy and gives advice to patients, health care professionals and the public on dietetic and nutritional matters for those with special dietary requirements or to prevent illness amongst the general population
- Diagnoses and treats disorders of vision and eye movements, monitors subsequent progress and recommends further optical, pharmacological or surgical treatment as required
- Manipulates and massages patient to discover the cause of pain, relieve discomfort, restore function and mobility and to correct irregularities in body structure
- Adopts a holistic approach in assessing the overall health of the patient, and treats by inserting needles under the skin at particular locations according to the disorder being treated
- Administers aromatic herbs and oils and massage to relieve pain and restore health
- Assesses and provides treatment for people with mental disabilities, or those suffering with mental illness, stress, and emotional and relationship problems
- Diagnoses and treats behavioural problems in animals.
Employment by Region
M 23% 77% F
M 23% 77% F
Where to go nextWolverhampton City Primary Care TrustSkills for Health - Skills Council for the Health sector Information and Statistics for the Health Sector
The tag map below allows you to explore some of the many stories here on icould.
View HTML tag cloud View Flash tag cloud
Theresa B's tag map
- Curriculum Subject
- Job features
- Influences & Choices
- Life decisions
- West Midlands
- Age at filming
- Sector skills council
- Enterprise types