Toni M is a Store Manager for Vodafone. She says "I really love about my job is that it changes... we've always got different people coming in through the door." She did BTEC Business Studies and did a variety of work in the city and in catering. However she feels "as far as regretting the choices that I've made, I do wish that I'd listened to what was inside, to what was going on in my heart, but I did what I thought was expected of me".
More information about managers and directors in retail and wholesale
Check out 6 videos about this career
Retail and wholesale managers and directors plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the operations of major retail and wholesale establishments in order to maximise business performance and meet financial goals.
Entry requirements vary from company to company. Entrants may possess GCSEs/S grades, A levels/H grades, GNVQs/GSVQs, a BTEC/SQA award, a degree or equivalent qualification. Entry is also possible through promotion after gaining sufficient experience. NVQs/SVQs in Retail Operations are available at Level 4.
- Appoints staff, assigns tasks and monitors and reviews staff performance
- Liaises with other staff to provide information about merchandise, special promotions etc. to customers
- Ensures that adequate reserves of merchandise are held and that stock keeping is carried out efficiently
- Ensures customer complaints and queries regarding sales and service are appropriately handled
- Oversees the maintenance of financial and other records and controls security arrangements for the premises
- Authorises payment for supplies received and decides on vending price, discount rates and credit terms
- Examines quality of merchandise and ensures that effective use is made of advertising and display facilities.
for this job
|Head offices, etc||16,532|
|Public admin. & defence||15,737|
|Computer programming, etc||13,613|
|Architectural & related||10,813|