Funeral Service Operative
The Co-operative Funeralcare
Andrew M is a Funeral Service Operative for The Co-operative Funeralcare. He's had a lot of jobs and he's always worked hard and enjoyed them, but this is the first chance he's had to move up the ladder. He's now being trained as a funeral director.
More information about Undertakers, mortuary and crematorium assistants
Check out 7 videos about this career
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
DescriptionUndertakers, mortuary and crematorium assistants make funeral arrangements for clients, prepare the deceased for burial or cremation, and supervise and assist the proceedings of funerals.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic requirements although some employers require candidates to possess GCSEs/S grades. A full driving licence is often required. Training is provided on-the-job. Professional qualifications in funeral directing and embalming are available.
- Collects body of deceased and assists with the completion of necessary documents;
- Interviews relative or representative of the deceased to discuss preparations for funeral;
- Liaises with cemetery or crematorium authorities on behalf of client;
- Washes and injects body with sterilising fluid to prevent deterioration prior to funeral, and applies cosmetics, wax and other materials to restore normal appearance;
- Provides hearse and funeral cars and leads funeral procession;
- Controls the operations of crematoriums and cemeteries and processes legal documentation.