The Prince's Trust
David P is a Volunteer Mentor for The Prince's Trust. He spent all his working career as an accountant, mainly as a chief accountant or managing director in the financial sector. So he's in a good position to give young people some good advice.
More information about Chartered and certified accountants
Check out 2 videos about this career
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
DescriptionJobholders in this unit group provide accounting and auditing services, advise clients on financial matters, collect and analyse financial information and perform other accounting duties required by management for the planning and control of an establishment’s income and expenditure.
QualificationsEntrants usually possess a degree or equivalent qualification. To qualify as an accountant, entrants must undertake a period of training within an approved organisation and successfully complete professional examinations. Exemptions to some professional examinations are available to those with appropriate academic qualifications.
- Plans and oversees implementation of accountancy system and policies;
- Prepares financial documents and reports for management, shareholders, statutory or other bodies;
- Audits accounts and book-keeping records;
- Prepares tax returns, advises on tax problems and contests disputed claim before tax official;
- Conducts financial investigations concerning insolvency, fraud, possible mergers, etc.;
- Evaluates financial information for management purposes;
- Liaises with management and other professionals to compile budgets and other costs;
- Prepares periodic accounts, budgetary reviews and financial forecasts;
- Conducts investigations and advises management on financial aspects of productivity, stock holding, sales, new products, etc.