The Hub, Bristol
Emily L works as a secretary at The Hub in Bristol. Her original passion is art which was inspired by her father's old teacher and lead to her establishing a wood carving business. Her entire stock being stolen and the ensuing insurance cheque created the opportunity for round the world travel and managing a business in New Zealand.
More information about Company secretaries
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
DescriptionCompany secretaries (excluding qualified chartered secretaries) file and maintain company records, translate notes and dictation into typewritten form and perform other clerical tasks within commercial organisations.
QualificationsThere are no minimum academic requirements, although entrants to professional secretarial courses typically require GCSEs/S grades. NVQs/SVQs in Administration are available at Levels 2, 3 and 4.
- Opens, sorts, distributes and files correspondence (both hard copy and electronic);
- Uses appropriate software to produce correspondence, memoranda, reports, presentations and other documents from drafts, handwritten copy or by transcribing dictation;
- Deals directly with routine correspondence;
- Files and retrieves documents, sets up and maintains filing systems and reproduces copies of documentation as required;
- Keeps appointments diary, makes travel arrangements and arranges conference and other functions;
- Arranges meetings, circulates agenda and other meeting documents, attends meetings, and takes and prepares minutes;
- Answers, screens, handles and directs telephone requests and enquiries, takes messages and forwards to the appropriate member of staff;
- Undertakes reception responsibilities by greeting visitors and arranging refreshments;
- Ensures office supplies such as stationery and equipment are maintained.