Phil J is a Team Leader at Gibsons Foods. He was a butcher who took over his father's business when he retired. He lost so much business when supermarkets opened that he gave up the business and went to work for ASDA.
More information about Food, drink and tobacco process operatives
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
- Sets, operates and attends machinery and ovens to mix, bake and otherwise prepare bread and flour confectionery products;
- Operates machinery to crush, mix, malt, cook and ferment grains and fruits to produce beer, wines, malt liquors, vinegar, yeast and related products;
- Attends equipment to make jam, toffee, cheese, processed cheese, margarine, syrup, ice, pasta, ice-cream, sausages, chocolate, maize starch, edible fats and dextrin;
- Operates equipment to cool, heat, dry, roast, blanch, pasteurise, smoke, sterilise, freeze, evaporate and concentrate foodstuffs and liquids used in food processing;
- Mixes, pulps, grinds, blends and separates foodstuffs and liquids with churning, pressing, sieving, grinding and filtering equipment;
- Processes tobacco leaves by hand or machine to make cigarettes, cigars, pipe and other tobacco products.
From personal careers advice to finding work, see our round-up of
useful websites to help you on your way