Lifeline Project Co-ordinator
Belfast Youth Initiatives
Tony S is Lifeline project manager for Youth Initiatives in Belfast - "It involves working with fifteen to eighteen year olds on a personal social development programme". He describes himself as a "product of Youth Initiative. I came here when I was sixteen and from then I volunteered for them." After doing a Business degree, Tony took a gap year in Detroit then came back to work in Belfast. "This job is a combination of a career choice and a life choice, I'm a Christian man and I believe that this is what I think I'm meant to do".
More information about Youth and community workers
Check out 22 videos about this career
The UK average salary is £28,758
There are 37.5 hours in the average working week
The UK workforce is 47% female and 53% male
DescriptionYouth and community workers provide support to individuals or groups of individuals through a range of activities or services that aim to encourage participation in social and community life and promote personal and social development.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic entry requirements though a minimum age for appointment between 18 and 21 normally applies. Most qualified youth workers possess an accredited diploma in higher education or postgraduate diploma in youth and community work. A majority of qualifying courses are for people aged over 21 years of age. Background checks including a CRB check are likely to be required.
- Organises social, recreational and educational activities in local community and youth groups;
- Undertakes the day-to-day running of community centres and supervises the activities of part-time and voluntary workers;
- Liaises and supports voluntary workers running groups in village halls, churches, mosques and other places of worship;
- Advises individuals with particular needs or problems through informal discussion, individual counselling or formal group discussion;
- Helps set up credit unions, encourages parents to establish playgroups, works with other groups to find solutions to shared concerns or problems.