Art was always Abi's favourite subject at school, so at 18 she decided to do an art foundation course and then a Set Design course at university. From there her first break happened when she managed to get some freelance work on Hollyoaks. She has gradually worked her way up from Set Dresser to Standby Art Director and hopes to develop her experience in this role over the next few years.
More information about Artists
Check out 13 videos about this career
DescriptionArtists create artistic works using appropriate techniques, materials and media; design artwork and illustrations; and restore damaged pieces of art.
QualificationsNo specific academic qualifications are required although a variety of vocational qualifications, degrees and postgraduate courses are available. Entry can be based upon portfolio work.
- Conceives and develops ideas and ways of working for artistic composition;
- Selects appropriate materials, medium and method;
- Prepares sketches, scale drawings or colour schemes;
- Builds up composition into finished work by carving, sculpting, etching, painting, engraving, drawing, etc.;
- Approaches managers of galleries and exhibitions in order to get finished work displayed;
- Uses artistic skills to restore damaged artworks;
- Liaises with writers and publishers to produce book illustrations;
- Markets and sells finished work directly to customers;
- Produces works on commission basis for clients.
for this job
|Arts & entertainment||6436|
|Computer programming, etc||5290|
|Other personal service||2797|
|Head offices, etc||1943|