Adam is a Chef, he did a motor vehicle qualification but always got distracted by the catering section on the way to his lessons and inevitably he did a catering course. Wanting to travel Adam got a job with PGL working in France as a Chef. When his contract finished he was offered a full-time place at one of their locations in the UK.
More information about
Check out 9 videos about this career
DescriptionChefs plan menus and prepare, or oversee the preparation of food in hotels, restaurants, clubs, private households and other establishments.
QualificationsThere are no formal academic requirements. Training is provided off- and on-the-job. NVQs/ SVQs, BTEC Certificates and Diplomas and foundation degrees are available. Apprenticeships leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3 are also available. Courses are also run by private cookery schools.
- Requisitions or purchases and examines foodstuffs from suppliers to ensure quality;
- Plans menus, prepares, seasons and cooks foodstuffs or oversees their preparation and monitors the quality of finished dishes;
- Supervises, organises and instructs kitchen staff and manages the whole kitchen or an area of the kitchen;
- Ensures relevant hygiene and health and safety standards are maintained within the kitchen;
- Plans and co-ordinates kitchen work such as fetching, clearing and cleaning of equipment and utensils.
for this job
|Food & beverage services||148492|
|Sport & recreation||4335|
|Services to buildings||2767|
|Other personal service||2733|