Adrian completed an apprenticeship and worked as a car mechanic before obtaining his PSV licence and becoming a driver. His early ambition was to join the RAF but he was rejected because he was underweight. He describes the highlight of his life as his seven children: "they keep me busy at all times when I'm not at work".
Check out 2 videos about this career
DescriptionWaste disposal and environmental services managers plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the operations and development of waste disposal and related environmental services facilities within private firms or public authorities.
QualificationsEntry is possible with a variety of academic qualifications, including a degree or equivalent qualification in a related subject, and/or relevant experience. NVQ levels 3 and 4 and professional qualifications are available. Professional qualifications are available from the Chartered Institute of Wastes Management and may be mandatory in some operational management posts.
- Determines staffing, financial, material and other short- and long-term requirements;
- Manages and delegates tasks to staff and co-ordinates the maintenance and optimum utilisation of waste disposal and related equipment to provide an efficient service;
- Monitors levels of waste disposal, recycling and related environmental services, compiles statistics and produces reports;
- Liaises with members of the local community to educate and promote the concept of recycling and appropriate waste management;
- Keeps up to date with new legislation and liaises with appropriate regulatory bodies to ensure compliance with legislation regarding waste disposal and environmental services;
- Co-ordinates the resources and activities relating to the procurement, collection, storage, processing and sale of scrap metal and related products.
for this job
|Architectural & related||671|
|Public admin. & defence||591|
|Food & beverage services||569|
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- First job influence
- Job location
- Yorkshire and the Humber
- Enterprise types