Aileen C is an SNP Member of the Scottish Parliament. She was elected in 2007 just before her 27th birthday. "There's probably not a lot of my colleagues who are MSPs who can say that they've worked in call centres and have had to pay back their student loans and their students debts either so. I've got a lot of good experiences."
More information about Elected officers and representatives
Check out 5 videos about this career
DescriptionElected representatives in national government formulate and ratify legislation and government policy, act as elected representatives in Parliament, European Parliament, Regional Parliaments or Assemblies, and as representatives of the government and its executive. Elected officers in local government act as representatives in the local authority and participate in the formulation, ratification and implementation of local government policies.
QualificationsEntry is by election.
- Represents constituency within the legislature and advises and assists constituents on a variety of issues;
- Acts as a Party representative within the constituency;
- Participates in debates and votes on legislative and other matters;
- Holds positions on parliamentary or local government committees;
- Tables questions to ministers and introduces proposals for government action;
- Recommends or reviews potential policy or legislative change, and offers advice and opinions on current policy;
- Advises on the interpretation and implementation of policy decisions, acts and regulations;
- Studies and acts upon any legislation that may affect the local authority.
for this job
|Public admin. & defence||7090|
|Legal & accounting||727|
|Architectural & related||587|
|Head offices, etc||110|