Alan Milburn grew up on council estate in a small village in Durham and describes being an MP a "very odd thing to aspire to" as a child. But when he became involved in running a campaign to keep open the shipyards in Sunderland in the late eighties Alan discovered that he needed to be "on the inside" to really make change happen. He has been a Member of Parliament for Darlington since 1992.
More information about Elected officers and representatives
Check out 5 videos about this career
DescriptionElected representatives in national government formulate and ratify legislation and government policy, act as elected representatives in Parliament, European Parliament, Regional Parliaments or Assemblies, and as representatives of the government and its executive. Elected officers in local government act as representatives in the local authority and participate in the formulation, ratification and implementation of local government policies.
QualificationsEntry is by election.
- Represents constituency within the legislature and advises and assists constituents on a variety of issues;
- Acts as a Party representative within the constituency;
- Participates in debates and votes on legislative and other matters;
- Holds positions on parliamentary or local government committees;
- Tables questions to ministers and introduces proposals for government action;
- Recommends or reviews potential policy or legislative change, and offers advice and opinions on current policy;
- Advises on the interpretation and implementation of policy decisions, acts and regulations;
- Studies and acts upon any legislation that may affect the local authority.
for this job
|Public admin. & defence||7090|
|Legal & accounting||727|
|Architectural & related||587|
|Head offices, etc||110|
- Job features
- I like
- My job involves being
- Working lifestyle
- Interaction with others
- Job type(s)
- Influences & Choices
- Education/work pattern(s)
- Personal influences
- Job location
- North East England
- Enterprise types